Defined as infrequent, difficult passage of hard stools.
Normal frequency of stools varies person to person from about 3 per day to 1 per week.
Management can include:
- Increase water intake to 6 to 8 glasses per day.
- Increased fibre in the diet – fruits and vegetables.
- Increase exercise.
Avoid use of, and dependence on laxatives.
Seek medical advice if:
- you have been using laxatives regularly.
- bowel movements are painful.
- constipation begins after you start a new medication.
- you have abdominal pain.