Common causes include:
- Pregnancy. If this is possible please see your health care provider.
- Recently having a baby. Periods usually start 6 – 8 weeks after giving birth, and later if you are breastfeeding.
- Stress or illness can cause your periods to stop. Please see your health care provider.
- Stopping oral contraceptives. It can take up to 6 months for periods to resume after stopping birth control pills.
- Over 45 years old? May be the start of menopause.
- Hormonal problems may be signalled by weight gain, increased body and facial hair, deepening voice.